Luxurious Residential Development Game Reserve Karkloof Hilton, Otto Bluff Road, Mahathunzi, Karkloof Valley
New Upmarket freehold residential lifestyle development within existing private Game park | Size per plot ranging from 20 ha to 33 ha | Bordering Hilton College with direct access road | Highly secured and nestled between other security estates
This game park development called Mahathunzi, “MA-HA-THUN-ZI” which relates in short to the expression “The Great Aura” can be regarded as a hidden secret, nestled between a mountain range in a secure Valley between Pietermaritzburg and Hilton College. Only 90 Km away from Durban and the Indian Ocean, and 512 km from Johannesburg the main business hub of Southern Africa, Mahathunzi situated in over 1000 ha of authentic African terrain, stocked with both large and small wildlife offers the ultimate connection to nature.
On the land of Mahathunzi, even though not totally free of the peripheral impact of modern human activity, Hilton College is an immediate though invisible neighbour, Pietermaritzburg is 10 Minutes away, its northern boundary neighbours is five-star Karkloof Safari Spa, the Home from Home for many international celebrities, and the Albert Falls Dam sits 2 Km away on the Umgeni River.
Dome of the Salient features of Mahathunzi are:
1. Security: The property is cushioned between three gates estates and has its own highly sophisticated security systems
2. Malaria free: KwaZulu Natal is a Malaria Free Area which is safe for Human and animals
3. Location: The proximity to Pietermaritzburg and Durban airports is ideal for the frequent traveller avoiding long distance traveling. There are 5 private hospitals and some top school within close proximity to Mahathunzi as well as shopping opportunities, which includes a new shopping centre which is currently developed near Hilton College.
4. Services: Each property will be serviced with its own bore hole, Eskom electricity and high-speed internet.
5. Recreation: The very low density of the development allows total privacy for the property owners and Activities such as hiking, walking, cycling, game viewing, fishing and birding allows 100% use of the reserve whilst only owning 2% of the land.
Mahathunzi is essentially cocooned between Mount Verde on its southern boundary, and Hilton College, Karkloof Safari Spa and Ukuthula Lodge on its western and northern boundaries, with only the eastern boundary bordering the main road.
The overall concept of the architectural style is that 'buildings disappear into the landscape', with flat living roofs, wrap around verandas,to prevent light reflection etc., but there is no minimum building size, as ones buildings are essentially invisible. There are no internal fences, and residents can traverse the entire reserve.
With the size of the properties, homes will be far apart from each other. Unlike other developments, there is no requirement to build within a specified time period.
A new road linking Mahathunzi access road, Otto's Bluff road, to the Cascade area in Pietermaritzburg has been planned, and Otto's Bluff road is to be tarred as a matter of priority according to a press release. The developers are currently in the process of having the properties, Mahathunzi and Karkloof Safari Spa, proclaimed as Nature Reserve. One of the benefits of being declared a Nature Reserve is that the area outside the residential footprint is considered a conservation area, which is exempt from municipal rates.
Also, it is envisaged that the property ultimately form part of a Unesco biosphere, the Greater Umgeni Biosphere www.greaterumngenibr.org, a project which is driven by Wessa the Wildlife and Environmental Society of South Africa and the Department of Environmental Affairs. Mahathunzi, Karkloof Safari Spa, Hilton College's nature reserve and Wessa's Umgeni Valley Ranch will form the core area of the proposed Unesco biosphere. There is a lot of game on the property, including 30 plus giraffe, 2 hippo, zebra, wildebeest, impala, blesbuck, kudu etc.