Corporate Disposal, Port Elizabeth
Cnr Military Road and Baakens Street
Erf 3767 measuring ± 367 m² | GLA: ± 1 600 m² | Vacant occupation | 5 Storey building
19 Baakens Street
Erf 3762 measuring ± 1 570 m² | GBA: ± 8 075 m² | Gross annual income: ± R180 713 (10% Occupied)
The sellers occupy 40% of the property as offices, various small tenants occupy a further 10% and the balance of the property is vacant.The sellers would potentially enter into a lease agreement for a maximum period of 12 months.
23 Baakens Street
Erf 3719 measuring ± 1 005 m² | GBA: ± 867 m² | Gross annual income: ± R 285 120 | 3 Storey building
2 Horton Street
Erf 3717 measuring ± 499 m² | GBA: ± 966 m² | Gross annual income: ± R 244 602 | Goods hoist | The property is made up of offices and workshop facilities
5, 7, 9 Produce Street
Erf No’s: 1553 ,1554,1555 combined size measuring: ± 3 100 m² | GLA: ± 2 945 m² | Gross annual income ± R 294 480 (35% Occupied) | Premises currently zoned Industrial 2
Port Elizabeth - also known as the Windy City, Ibhayi (‘the bay’ in isiXhosa) or the Friendly City – is a coastal hub in the Eastern Cape where locals proudly proclaim that everything lies within 15 minutes’ drive of the airport. It is one of the largest cities in South Africa, and lies 770km east of Cape Town, where it forms part of the Nelson Mandela Bay Metro, which links the city with the inland industrial towns of Uitenhage and Despatch.
Port Elizabeth has been an important port and harbour on the South Africa east coast ever since the first British settlers began arriving from 1820. Today it is a multi cargo port on the western perimeter of Algoa Bay, 384 n.miles southwest of Durban and 423 n.miles east of Cape Town at Longitude 25º 42' E, Latitude 34º 01' S.
The first recorded reference to the area was by the Portuguese explorer Bartolomeu Dias who landed and erected a cross at Kwaaihoek on 12 March 1488. He was followed by Vasco da Gama, another Portuguese explorer who became the first European to discover a sea route to India around Africa, when he passed Algoa Bay in 1497. For several hundred years afterwards the area was noted in navigation charts as a "landing place with fresh water."
Following the arrival of British settlers in 1820 the harbour achieved port status in 1825 with the appointment of a harbour master and collector of customs a year later. In 1836 a surfboat service was provided for the handling of cargo and passengers, with the first jetty constructed in 1837. Forty years later in 1877 Port Elizabeth had developed into the principal port of South Africa, albeit still without a proper harbour, with annual exports valued at the equivalent of R 6 Million. In 1933 construction of the Charl Malan Quay (No.1 Quay, now used as the Container and Car Terminals), was completed and Port Elizabeth now had a 'proper' harbour. "It was gratifying to note that cargo was now consigned to Port Elizabeth, not Algoa Bay, and official records of freight were also similarly styled," said the President of the Port Elizabeth Chamber of Commerce at the chamber's annual meeting in 1935.